GEG reports Q2 & Interim Results 2021
Tokyo, 12 August 2021 – Galaxy Entertainment Group (“GEG”, “Company” or the “Group”) (HKEx stock code: 27) today reported results for the three month and six month periods ended 30 June 2021. (All amounts are expressed in Hong Kong dollars unless otherwise stated)
LETTER FROM THE CHAIRMAN OF GALAXY ENTERTAINMENT GROUP
I appreciate the opportunity to update you on GEG’s most recent activities and financial results for the second quarter and first half of 2021. Macau continues to gradually recover and effectively navigate through the pandemic. The Macau market experienced its fourth consecutive quarter of gross gaming revenue (“GGR”) growth despite sporadic outbreaks of COVID-19 in Mainland and, most recently, in Macau. We are pleased to report that the primary focus of the Macau Government as well as GEG continues to be the health and safety of the public as well as social and economic stability.
In early August 2021, Macau reported four positive cases of COVID-19. We are pleased to report that the Macau Government acted promptly and decisively by testing the Macau community of over 700,000 for COVID-19 within three days, which is a remarkable achievement. Thankfully, the results of the mass screening were all negative. We would also like to acknowledge the Macau community’s cooperation in this important process which ensured swift execution of this monumental task. In addition, we would like to thank the Central Government who arranged for 300 healthcare personnel from the Mainland to assist in this critical effort, among others. Following this testing, the validity period of a negative test has been extended from 12 hours to 48 hours for individuals crossing the Guangdong-Macau border. GEG continues to support the Macau Government’s efforts including, among others, providing on-site vaccination facilities and education programs to actively encourage our staff and their family members to support Macau’s vaccination efforts to achieve herd immunity as well as on site COVID-19 testing facilities. Our in-house, on-site vaccination program has encouraged over 12,000 team members and their families to be vaccinated or registered to receive a vaccine.
Moving onto our Q2 2021 performance, Group Net Revenue of $5.6 billion improved relative to $1.2 billion in Q2 2020 and $5.1 billion in Q1 2021. Group Adjusted EBITDA of $1.1 billion also grew vs the $1.4 billion loss in Q2 2020 and was up 32% quarter-on-quarter. We are also pleased to report that our non-gaming performance improved in Q2 2021 due to a strong performance in retail which bodes well for the overall recovery prospects for Macau. Further, our performance was also supported by continued effective cost controls measures across the Group. Our balance sheet remains liquid and healthy. As of 30 June 2021, cash and liquid investments were $43.0 billion and net cash was $31.6 billion. Total debt was $11.4 billion at 30 June 2021, including $10.9 billion associated with our treasury yield enhancement program and $0.5 billion of core debt. This provides us with valuable flexibility in managing operations and supporting our development initiatives. Given the ongoing impact of COVID-19, today the Board of Directors has decided not to declare a dividend.
Moving on to our development update beginning with Cotai Phases 3 and 4 where we continue to invest in the future of Macau. We were pleased to announce in March 2021 the introduction of the legendary Raffles at Galaxy Macau which will feature an approximate 450 all-suite tower and is targeted to open in early 2022. We intend to follow this with the opening of the Galaxy International Convention Center and Andaz Macau in anticipation of the recovery of the MICE and entertainment markets. And, finally, we are proceeding with the construction of Cotai Phase 4, our next generation integrated resort, which will complete our ecosystem in Cotai. As you can see, we remain highly confident about the future of Macau where Cotai Phases 3 and 4 will support Macau’s vision of becoming a World Centre of Tourism and Leisure.
Regarding our development plan in Hengqin, we are awaiting updates from the government and would welcome the opportunity to contribute to the evolving role of Hengqin in Macau’s future. In addition, we are expanding our focus beyond Hengqin and Macau to potentially include opportunities within the rapidly expanding Greater Bay Area. We, along with Monte-Carlo SBM from the Principality of Monaco remain interested in the long term prospects of Japan and are confident that they will successfully navigate through the COVID-19 pandemic.
We are very pleased to report that TripAdvisor recently announced that The Ritz-Carlton, Macau at Galaxy Macau™ was awarded the highest honor – Best of the Best Award, ranking No. 1 in the Top 25 Hotels in China and was also ranked No.14 in the Top 25 Hotels Worldwide.
This year also marks the 100th anniversary of the Communist Party of China (CPC). The CPC has successfully guided China on a path of sustainable development, having achieved admirable success that has earned global respect. GEG would like to deliver our congratulations to our nation. Unfortunately, Henan Province recently experienced a natural disaster in July. We wish a speedy recovery to all those affected by this tragedy and GEG contributed MOP10 million to support the emergency response and relief efforts in Henan Province.
Finally, I would like to acknowledge the efforts of the health and emergency personnel who have worked so hard to ensure the safety of Macau community. I would also like to thank our staff for being so supportive of our Company during these challenging times. Our future remains very bright!
Dr. Lui Che Woo
GBM, MBE, JP, LLD, DSSc, DBA
Q2 & INTERIM 2021 RESULTS HIGHLIGHTS
GEG: Gradual Pandemic Recovery Continues Supported by Continued Effective Cost Control
- 1H Group Net Revenue of $10.7 billion, up 71% year-on-year
- 1H Group Adjusted EBITDA of $2.0 billion Vs $(1.1) billion in 1H 2020
- 1H Net Profit Attributable to Shareholders of $0.9 billion Vs $(2.9) billion in 1H 2020
- Q2 Group Net Revenue of $5.6 billion, Vs $1.2 billion in Q2 2020 and $5.1 billion in Q1 2021
- Q2 Group Adjusted EBITDA of $1.1 billion, Vs $(1.4) billion in Q2 2020 and $859 million in Q1 2021
- Normalized Q2 Adjusted EBITDA was $1.1 billion after adjusting for good luck $74 million
- LTM Adjusted EBITDA turned positive with $2.1 billion, Vs a $444 million loss in Q1 2021
Galaxy Macau™: Gradual Pandemic Recovery Continues
- 1H Net Revenue of $7.2 billion, up 88% year-on-year
- 1H Adjusted EBITDA of $1.7 billion Vs $(848) million in 1H 2020
- Q2 Net Revenue of $3.8 billion, Vs $311 million in Q2 2020 and $3.4 billion in Q1 2021
- Q2 Adjusted EBITDA of $924 million, Vs $(1.2) billion in Q2 2020 and $764 million in Q1 2021
- Normalized Q2 Adjusted EBITDA was $838 million after adjusting for good luck $86 million
- Hotel occupancy for Q2 across the five hotels was 53%
StarWorld Macau: Gradual Pandemic Recovery Continues
- 1H Net Revenue of $1.9 billion, up 80% year-on-year
- 1H Adjusted EBITDA of $305 million Vs $(202) million in 1H 2020
- Q2 Net Revenue of $932 million, Vs $81 million in Q2 2020 and $1.0 billion in Q1 2021
- Q2 Adjusted EBITDA of $135 million, Vs $(306) million in Q2 2020 and $170 million in Q1 2021
- Normalized Q2 Adjusted EBITDA was $147 million after adjusting for bad luck $12 million
- Hotel occupancy for Q2 was 77%
Broadway Macau™: A Unique Family Friendly Resort, Strongly Supported By Macau SMEs
- 1H Net Revenue of $29 million Vs $65 million in 1H 2020
- 1H Adjusted EBITDA of $(43) million Vs $(97) million in 1H 2020
- Q2 Net Revenue of $14 million Vs $12 million in Q2 2020 and $15 million in Q1 2021
- Q2 Adjusted EBITDA of $(20) million Vs $(52) million in Q2 2020 and $(23) million in Q1 2021
- There was no luck impact on Q2 Adjusted EBITDA
- Hotel operation was suspended in Q2 2021
Balance Sheet: Maintain a Healthy and Liquid Balance Sheet
- Cash and liquid investments totaled $43.0 billion and net cash was $31.6 billion as at 30 June 2021
- Debt of $11.4 billion as at 30 June 2021 primarily associated with treasury yield management program
- Given the ongoing impact of COVID-19, today the Board of Directors has decided not to declare a dividend
Development Update: Continue Making Progress on Cotai Phases 3 & 4
- Continue to make ongoing progressive enhancements to our resorts to ensure that they remain competitive and appealing to our guests
- Cotai Phases 3 & 4 – Continue with development works for Phases 3 & 4, with a strong focus on non-gaming, primarily targeting MICE, entertainment, family facilities and also including gaming, given COVID-19, timelines may be impacted
- Target to open Raffles at Galaxy Macau, an exclusive 450 all-suite tower, as part of Cotai Phase 3 in early 2022, followed by the opening of Galaxy International Convention Center and Andaz Macau, and proceeding with the construction of Phase 4
- Greater Bay Area & Hengqin – Continue to pursue our Hengqin project as well as expand our focus by exploring potential opportunities within the rapidly expanding Greater Bay Area
- International – Continuously exploring opportunities in overseas markets, including Japan